Intelligence testing, or a cognitive assessment, offers valuable insight into a child’s abilities and academic potential
What can we learn from testing of cognitive abilities?
- child’s ability to solve problems
- his ability to express ideas
- her skill in synthesizing information
Many parents want to have a better understanding of their child’s strengths and weaknesses. With a clear picture of a child’s cognitive abilities, parents can make informed decisions about school placement and summer programs. Parents can also use this information to facilitate private school entrance (e.g., admissions testing) and to look at options for enrichment / support services. Some examples of established cognitive ability tests include the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-5th Edition (WISC-V) and Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence-4th Edition (WPPSI-IV).
Reasons to pursue testing:
- appeals process for advanced academic programs (AAP) / gifted and talented programs
- private school admissions testing
- applying for enrichment programs for summer / online learning
Dr. Ralph takes great care to provide a comfortable and positive experience for your child. By paying attention to all the factors that can affect performance, we can get the most accurate picture of your child’s intellectual potential.